Community / Historical Markers

Kirby District

Forum of Civics

Built in 1910 as the John Smith County School, the River Oaks Garden Club has owned the building since 1942. The Forum of Civics building was remodeled in 1927 by architect John F. Staub as headquarters for the Forum of Civics founded by William “Will” Hogg.  John Staub was commissioned to transform the essentially utilitarian building into a Classical Revival clubhouse meant to resemble an idealized New England town hall. Founded by entrepreneur Will Hogg, the Forum was organized in May 1926 to bring together Houston’s civic leaders to discuss city planning alternatives and help implement a comprehensive plan for development of the city’s public spaces. It was designed to stimulate civic pride and to combine varied forces for the betterment and beautification of Houston. The Forum closed with Hogg’s death in 1930, but remains today as a memorial to Will and Mike Hogg. Since taking ownership of the building in 1942, the River Oaks Garden Club has continued to educate its members and the public alike through publications, meetings, seminars, and the establishment of well-planned garden spaces located on the grounds, which are open to the public. (An Official Texas Historical Marker was granted in 1965.)

Forum of Civics Forum of Civics


2503 Westheimer at Kirby
Houston, TX 77098 

GPS: Latitude: 29° 44.526' 
Longitude: 95° 25.087' 

Key Map: 492 U