If you think cemeteries are spooky, just imagine visiting one with glowing tombstones. Deep within Precinct 4’s Bear Creek Pioneers Park is a hidden cemetery known for the ghostly blue light that emanates from the graves in the moonlight.
Known locally as the “Blue Light Cemetery,” the Hillendahl-Eggling Cemetery was founded by German immigrants in the mid-1800s before being abandoned in 1902. Because of repeated flooding, the bodies were moved, and the lot was left untended. The cemetery has since become the subject of many local myths, legends, and ghost stories.
Decades ago, teens used to visit the site to scare each other and hunt for the ghostly tombstones. People also reportedly held occult meetings there in the ’70s and ’80s. Visitors have described finding morbid objects around the graveyard, like boxes shaped like tombs and objects used in voodoo rituals.
Other sources say the cemetery was a popular parking spot for couples in the ’40s and ’50s. A book called “Weird Texas” describes hauntings along Patterson Road at North Eldridge Parkway, just outside the cemetery. According to legend, motorists who park along Langham Bridge will hear tapping on their cars from long-dead soldiers. Some visitors have also reported experiencing strange phenomena like sudden temperature drops, floating orbs in photos, and audio recordings of unknown voices.
Although most stories surrounding the cemetery remain unexplained, historians are at least sure of one thing. The tombstones’ blue glow is from labradorite, a highly reflective mineral commonly used to make New Age jewelry. Harris County contains multiple “blue light” cemeteries featuring these reflective gravestones.
Unfortunately, vandals, graverobbers, and time have destroyed much of Precinct 4’s “blue light” cemetery. The area is now fenced off and inaccessible to visitors.
As time passes, the cemetery fades into memory. But occasionally, new stories surface during spooky season, helping preserve the memory of one of Precinct 4’s most historical — and possibly haunted — sites.